Wednesday, June 27, 2007

My Philly Riding Scene...


PHOTO: JOHN WITH HIS DOG, SALLY, ON TOP OF CHEYENNE (not in Philly, in Montana)

My English paddock boots got thrashed on the drive. The soles on both feet are pulling off, the stitching came loose and they suffered deep scratches that I wouldn't be able to oil out if I tried. I thought it'd be cool if I got Western boots instead. Nicole and I both decided to get cowboy boots from Murdoch's, the tack and feed store in Bozeman, before we left to come home. I got a hotshit pair that I love; they're blue and have pretty stitching and a more rounded toe than most boots. Unfortunately, I may have geeked it and bought them a half size too big, but it's been so hot out I've been wearing skinny socks, so maybe they're fine when I've got real socks on and things cool down. It DID totally occur to me that I can't wear my chaps with the Western boots, and I suspected this would be a problem, but I really, really wanted these boots so I bought them anyway. No, they weren't on sale. But Western boots would look good with a skirt, so it would be like a win-win.

Anyhow, yesterday I rode in the new boots for the first time. I'm sure they're great in a Western saddle, but since the boots aren't as tall as English boots, the stirrup leathers pinched. I presumed they would, but the real bummer was that because the soles of the new boots are thicker than those on my paddock boots, and because the tack at Chamounix is (really, really) crappy and there are no stirrup pads in ANY of the stirrups on ANY of the saddles, my feet were slipping. Yikes. With the thinner soles you can sort of situate the balls of your feet into the space where the pad is supposed to go and grip on while still more or less keeping your weight in your heels. All this is pretty important stuff, in case you were wondering. I'm not being difficult. I'm telling you: Western boots are crap in English saddles, however maybe they are less crappy if you have pads under your feet. I'm switching back to my paddock boots, and considering how un-rough-and-tumble (most of the time, though I have my days) it is to kick a horse around the ring at Chamounix, I'm sure they'll be fine.

No comments: