Friday, May 1, 2009

Tomorrow!


VIDEO: FROM DRAGONS' DEN

Tomorrow I do this: http://www.ignitephilly.org/

I'm really excited because these events are sort of a big deal and I love the idea of "entertaining AND educational". I feel like it's a really special thing to have been asked and I modified my presentation from the DreamIt Kick Off Weekend as my presentation.

20 slides, 15 seconds each slide. That means 5 minutes to share your idea and present it cogently to the group. It's at Johnny Brenda's- a music club, and when I'm feeling it (as in a *leetle bit sassy*) I really enjoy being in front of a group. I don't have a whole lot of experience in this UP IN FRONT OF PEOPLE category, but I'm happy to have the practice.

When we went for our DreamIt interview (speaking of needing practice in front of people) we sat opposite from a group who quite literally determined the course of the next phase of our project. Impressing them meant fast tracking our plans. Without their support, we'd be plugging away at a much slower pace. I was nervous but REALLY didn't want to be. I wanted to be confident and crisp.

We were in the building, waiting to be called in to our interview when I remembered a trick I used to use when I'd get nervous at horse shows. It goes like this: "This feeling right now? The fluttering, sweaty one? THAT'S WHY YOU'RE HERE. You're not nervous, you're EXCITED. Because this is fun." I wanted it to be fun. I really wanted to enjoy being there- shit like that doesn't happen every day and I didn't want to miss the moment. Tomorrow's kind of like that. I'm seeing this as more momentum. Another way to share my project and get feedback.

I'm attaching a clip from Dragons' Den. It's a cool show and I joke that our DreamIt interview was like being on Dragons' Den...

No comments: